We have decided to close our Coworking space, Impact Factory and Café spurlos to the public, including external guests of members as of 18:00 tonight until at least 31 March 2020.
No words can truly describe the mixed emotions evoked by this COVID-19 pandemic, but at least we are all in this together. The health and safety of our members, employees, partners and guests is our highest priority. It is our duty to do everything humanly possible to slow down the spread of COVID-19.
It is maybe easier in times like this to think of only ourselves, our hand sanitizers, our cancelled plans and our business. But we think it is extremely important to take a deep breath, sit down and start thinking what this really means and how we can support each other. Some of us are parents who will be affected by the school closures. Some of us are or close to someone in the at-risk group who may be affected health-wise dramatically. Some of us are coping with too much information and not sure where exactly to look. And all of us are worried.
We as Impact Hub Basel started this journey to Inspire and Create Change. It is ever so much more important to act on this mantra. How can we continue to inspire in these times? How can we create some meaningful change and impact in this crisis? In the coming days, we will step up our virtual game and do our best to keep inspiring and creating change with you, our Community.
Please read through all of the following very important announcements and measures that concern all of us.
IMMEDIATE IMPACT HUB BASEL MEASURES
Placing public health at the center, we have decided the following effective 18:00 tonight until 31 March 2020:
- our Coworking space, Impact Factory and Café spurlos will be closed to the public, including external guests of members.
- Impact Hub members are still able to work from our Coworking space (until further notice), although we will strongly advise and encourage them to do Home Office and to follow the recommendations of the Federal Office of Public Health FOPH. We will ensure their continued access and carry out the cleaning. To protect our hosting team, hosting will be reduced to an absolute minimum. We will have 1 host who will rotate weekly instead of daily to minimize the spread. The host will track attendance daily.
- All Impact Hub Basel meetings and events will go online or be postponed or cancelled.
- All meetings and events from our community hosted at Impact Hub Basel will go online or be postponed or cancelled.
- We are happy to reschedule your meetings and events which have already been planned once the situation has slowed down.
Hygiene in Shared Space
- The latest hygiene recommendations from FOPH have been hung up in our space
- Single-use paper towels are in the bathrooms
- Closed bins have replaced open ones, especially for used tissues
- Increase of cleaning of the surfaces and door handles/knobs by our cleaning company and staff
- We at Impact Hub Basel have formed a Pandemic Team to keep you updated with the latest and most relevant information.
- If you have a fever and a cough, please stay at home and call your doctor or the Corona hotline: +41 58 463 00 00. Please save this number to your phone.
- Practice self quarantine for 10 days if you show first symptoms or at least for 5 days if your co-habitants show symptoms.
- Healthy people should not wear hygiene masks (surgical masks, surgical masks). They do not provide effective protection against infection with respiratory viruses.
- At-risk group currently include people who are aged 65+ or have
- Low immune systems
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Chronic respiratory diseases
- Diseases and therapies that weaken the immune system
- The new COVID-19 disease can run very differently than the seasonal flu. Some people have mild symptoms and hardly notice that they are sick. Others need intensive hospital treatment.
Personal Hygiene and Social Distancing
- wash your hands regularly and thoroughly
- cough and sneeze in a tissue or bend of the arm, not into your hands
- avoid shaking hands, hugs or kisses; try waving or double foot taps
- avoid travelling by public transport
- avoid places with groups of people, cinema, shopping during rush hours
- avoid contact with infected people
- try to stay at home: watch this plea from a doctor at ETH Zürich
- Try to boost your immune system by soaking up some sunshine on your balcony, exercising, meditating and eating healthy.
Schools and Childcare
- All schools, daycare centers and play groups will be closed from Monday, March 16, 2020 until the spring break. The canton of Basel-Stadt only offers childcare (infants to children until the end of compulsory schooling) for legal guardians who work in health professions or have other mandatory work obligations and cannot otherwise organize childcare. This exception also applies in emergency situations in which only care from grandparents is possible.
- For all parents out there, have a look at some of the following websites for good online tutoring content, like Khan Academy, BBC Learning, Futurelearn and Openlearn.
In line with SDG 3, it is up to all of us to make sure that we do everything we can to keep the COVID-19 virus from spreading further. For this it is important that everyone contributes to this by adhering to the measures described above. We will continue to keep a close eye on the news and governmental measures and will regularly provide you with updates as events evolve via our website and social media.
Thank you all for your understanding – in times like this we can feel that we really are #StrongerTogether!
Big air hugs to all of you!
Your Impact Hub Basel team